Energise Sussex Coast is a key partner in the Climate Active Neighbourhoods (CAN) project. The project aims to develop an area-based retrofit programme for 600 homes in the social and private sector in Ore, one of the most deprived UK neighbourhoods.
Additional aims are to monitor and evaluate the best ways of engaging a whole community in addressing the problem of climate change and the carbon intensity of our current energy supply.
- Explore innovative finance options to fund renewable energy (solar) installations in social homes, schools or public roof spaces.
- Explore a community energy tariff where residents can purchase locally generated energy – for example the Mongoose tariff being launched in Sept 2016.
- Run training and mentoring programmes for community energy champions in the target neighbourhood.
- Run energy desks, energy cafes and pop up energy shops in several locations for 2 days per week.
- Manage and run an annual show home event in Hastings and the wider area.
- Manage external technicians and consultants to install 100 Energy Local systems (smart meters and home energy management systems) that will enable residents to benefit from demand side management and local energy generation.
This work has been made possible by Interreg North-West Europe (EU) funding.